Quotes by Mas Oyama
– “If you don’t overcome your tendency to give up easily, your life will lead to nothing.”
– “The heart of our karate is real fighting.There can be no proof without real fighting. Without proof there is no trust. Without trust there is no respect. This is a definition in the world of martial arts.”
– People referred to Mas Oyama’s Kyokushin Karate as kenka karate, meaning “brawling” or “brutal” karate. Oyama responded by saying, “Kenka karate ja nai! Budo karate da!”
Translation: “This is not brawling karate! This is budo (martial) karate!”
– “The only secret is sweat.”
Kyokushin No Seishin (The Kyokushin Spirit)
– Head low. You should be humble.
– Eyes high. Aim to achieve high ideals.
– Closed mouth. Do not brag or boast.
– Broad mind. Appreciation of what others have to offer.
– Respect. Respect your parents, your seniors, and all living beings in general.
We will train our hearts and bodies, for a firm unshaking spirit.
We will pursue the true meaning of the Martial Way, so that in time our senses will be alert.
With true vigour, we will seek to cultivate a spirit of self-denial.
We will observe the rules of courtesy, respect our superiors, and refrain from violence.
We will follow our religious principles, and never forget the true virtue of humility.
We will look upwards to wisdom and strength, not seeking other desires.
All our lives, through the discipline of karate, we will seek to fulfill the true meaning of the Kyokushin way!